So, my intention was to do a fresh install of 10.8.4. I've never used a recovery partition to do a fresh install. I mistakenly thought that a 10.8.4 recovery partition would install 10.8.4. Nope. Apparently it installs whatever is the latest version from the mac app store. Which happens to be the very broken 10.8.5.
So I'm working on procuring 10.8.4 from an alternate source, but in the meantime, I thought, what the heck, maybe a fresh install would have solved the issue.
To clarify, I completely erased the partition before I did the install of 10.8.5. This was as clean as it gets.
After the install finished, I installed Reason 6.5.3 and then Screenflow 3.0.8 from the app store.
I was using the Apogee One with an external dynamic mic to test. Again, I encountered issues where one track would have a glitch but the other wouldn't.
The Apogee One supports both 48K and 44.1K. I thought, what the heck, let's see if that's the problem. Though it wouldn't have mattered if 48K was the problem because everything worked prior to 10.8.5. And my Turtle Beach headset (that gets used on another near-daily project) is only 48K.
Long story short, setting Reason to 44.1K did not help. I have no idea what Screenflow uses internally. I think Reason itself may have glitched less, but given how random this problem is to begin with, I can't really say that with any certainty.
a summary again of the audio issues
If finding/installing 10.8.4 works, I am going to declare 10.8.5 to absolutely have been the problem, but so far:
- I started getting audio hiccups around the time I upgraded to 10.8.5. The hiccups present as tiny little glitch noises in my recordings.
- The problem has presented in Reason 6.5.X with live monitoring (meaning, I hear the glitch live), without live monitoring (meaning, I don't remember hearing a glitch at the time of the recording, but it's on the track), with audio recorded directly into Reason itself and with audio being recorded out of Reason and into Screenflow through Screenflow's record-computer-audio plugin.
- The glitches appear in Screenflow's direct capturing of the microphone. Sometimes glitches will appear on the Reason track but not Screenflow's and vice versa.
- The glitches have occurred on two different pieces of external audio equipment: the Apogee One with an external dynamic mic, and on a Turtle Beach headset.
- The glitches have appeared at both 44.1K and 48K, which the Apogee One is capable of switching between. The Turtle Beach only does 48K.
I really do think that 10.8.5 is the problem. If a fresh install of 10.8.4 does not work, then I guess my next step will be to look into any other freaking thing that might have changed. Like maybe my power connector is suddenly causing problems? I'll also be trying my other computers. However, the computer that is currently having the problems, is currently also the only computer powerful enough to run some of my software. Meaning I'm SOL if it is the computer itself.